The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken

The BetThe Bet by Rachel Van Dyken
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing

Publisher: Unknown
Date Published: March 26th 2013
Genre: New Adult Contemporary

The first thing I thought after reading this book was that the name made no sense at all. There wasn't a bet. And then I remembered the beginning, before the present day story had actually begun. It was one of those 'Ooooooooh' moments. I didn't get the name until then. I'm still not sure if I think the concept for the name is ingenious or one of those blah ideas that sound good, but turn out bad.

Kacey is one of the protagonists of this story. She's not a bad character. Not particularly interesting, but not completely boring either. Average, I guess. Jake is the most frustratingly ignorant character, and he is the second protagonist. The third and final protagonist is his dear dorky/hottie brother Travis. His dorkiness is adorable. And his hotness is yumtastic.

Jake was sleeping around with prostitutes and strippers. And of course, being the millionaire big dog of a company, well that's just not acceptable. So he bribes his ex-best friend Kacey to 'marry' him. Well, become his fiancé.

Problem numero uno: Jake can't keep it in his pants. Problem numbre deux: Travis is into Kacey and Kacey is trying to get over Jake. The list goes on. Suffice to say, Jake sucks and Kacey has issues and them together just don't work.

My absolute favorite character in this book is Grandma. Now why would a washed-up old bag of wrinkles be the highlight of the story? Because this grandma reminds me so much of my Grammy. She is hilarious, she tells it to you straight, and she acts like she's twenty-one. Her body may be old, but her mind is young. And she is a sneaky, evil, manipulative person as well. But she rocks so much.

The reason I only gave this book three stars is for several reasons. One of those being there wasn't a lot of conflict in the story. And Kacey was really... average. It was kind of dull.

But if you need one good reason to read this I'll give you three. GRANDMA, GRANDMA, and GRANDMA.

View all my reviews

Synopsis:

"I have a proposition for you..."
Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. Instead, she made a deal with the devil in hopes of putting her past behind her once and for all.
Four days.
She could do four days!
But she wasn't counting on Jake’s older brother Travis being there to witness their farce of an engagement.
One thing is for certain.
One brother is right for her.
One wants a lifetime.
And one is in league with the devil.
She should have gotten Jake’s signature in blood.


Add to Goodreads





Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii