Reading Challenges for 2013

     Every now and then I decide to go look at some of my favorite blogs by other people. I really should do it more often, because there's a lot you can learn from them. Today I stopped by Nitzan-Katia Schwarz's blog  @Drugs Called Books. And I found these two awesome challenges I wanted to participate in plus a book which I bought and put up on my Upcoming page for reviews which lead Amazon to give me a recommendation for another book which I bought which I also added to my Upcoming page. So you see, you really can benefit from checking out other people's blogs.
     The challenges are (drum roll please):
 link to challenge: http://www.workadayreads.com/2012/11/2013-ebook-challenge-sign-up.html

     I'll start with the 2013 eBook Challenge. Basically I set a goal and try to read all of the books I set for my goal in 2013. There are seven levels:
  1. Floppy disk – 5 ebooks
  2. CD – 10 ebooks
  3. DVD – 25 ebooks
  4. Memory stick – 50 ebooks
  5. Hard drive – 75 ebooks
  6. Server – 100 ebooks
  7. Human brain – 150 ebooks
     My goal is going to be Memory Stick, so 50 eBooks. I may change it later if I feel that I'm going to breeze through it. I read a mixture of eBooks and print books. At the beginning of each month there will be a roundup post for me to add my reviews for that month. The linky will remain open for the remainder of the year, so if I forget, I'll go back and add them when I remember. There will also be a giveaway at the end of the year for everyone who achieves their goal level (or higher).

NA Banner  link to challenge: http://www.basiasbookshelf.com/2013-new-adult-challenge/

     And for the other challenge. Some of you may have heard of New Adult books. I have gotten a few people who asked what New Adult is. Technically, it's mature Young Adult, 17+ kind of stuff. Really it's just a subcategory for Young Adult, but it's a broad category which has everything in it. It's not just contemporary romance, it's dystopian and paranormal and horror and thrillers and everything in between.
     What I have to do for this is read a certain number of books from the goal I choose for myself. They have to have a protagonist who is between 18 - 30 and can be of whatever genre in the Young Adult category that I want. The levels are:
  1. Just Graduated: Read a minimum of 5 New Adult books
  2. Moving Out: Read a minimum of 10 New Adult books
  3. Living On Your Own: Read a minimum of 20 New Adult books
  4. Fully Independent: Read a minimum of 30 New Adult books
     Since I've only just gotten into New Adult, I'm going to set my goal pretty low and go for Moving Out, where I read 10 New Adult books. And hey, they might even be eBooks so I can kill two birds with one stone. Right now I'm pretty into New Adult, but I'm getting kind of bored with the contemporary stuff I've read. I have yet to find paranormal or dystopian New Adult that I really like the sounds of. Then again, I may end up reading just a whole lot of New Adult and not much else this year. We'll see where I go from here on out.

     Hope you had a great weekend filled with books!

Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii