The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio RacesThe Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have read both the faerie books and the werewolf books by this author, and both are thrilling and a good read, but I think nothing compares to The Scorpio Races.

This book was original, so there was no precedent of what to expect in my mind. I think this is one of my favorite books of all time, even though I only recently finished it and I've only read it once.

When I first heard the story's plotline I didn't think it was a very interesting story. I've never cared for horse books, even though my family own three purebred Arabian mares. I honestly didn't think I'd like it and my eyes swept past it every time I saw it on the shelves at the bookstore.

But recently I've been lacking in reading and I've been quite bored. SO I thought I'd take a gander, and I never have believed in a bad story, so what could happen? I didn't think I'd fall in love with the Twilight Saga either, vampires are so cliched, and yet I did.

This story is so unlike any other story I have ever read. It is compelling and beautifully written. The man-eating-water-horses (not water-eating-man-horses) reminded me of bedtime stories my grandmother told me about creatures of the ocean, and her facination with sea horses.

I think you should at least try to read this book, even if you find you don't like it. If you're not expecting to like this book, all the bestter. I've read a lot of horse books, but their so real and blase that I'm never fully interested in them.

The Scorpio Races, with the man-eating water horses make the book more mythical and magical, full of promise and beauty and all good things books come with. I loved the storyline, I loved the characters, and I definetly think Puck and Sean are a good match, no matter what the other islanders think.

This is one of those books where I hope their will be another book, but I am unsure if the author will keep the story alive for longer. I don't know if there will be a sequel, part of me wants one and part of me doesn't.

If there's a sequel, I want it to keep the perfect image the first book had and not ruin it like Mockingjay and Catching Fire did to the Hunger Games. I would love for Sean and Puck's story to continue, so long as its not ruined (though I would buy the book anyway) and I don't want to cry.

But overall this is one of those books I will re-read just for the joy of experiencing everything again and again.

Good job Maggie, you earned it!

View all my reviews

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Magical, mystical and so well written....touches many parts of the heart. I loved this book and hope there is a movie to follow.
Highly recommended Alaska Bear Viewing vacations

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii