Summer Must-Reads


Bad-Boys:

First off, summer is the time for boys, no matter what your age. If you’re like my younger brother, then you’ll probably get into a fight with a girl over a toy. The girl would win, of course. Because we girls rule. If you’re a teen, you’ll probably be hanging out at the movie theater flirting with the guy making popcorn. If you’re a college girl, you’ll be partying and having a good time. And there is one thing no girl of any age can resist; a bad boy. So I’ve selected some of my favorite books with bad boys in them.

The Collector by Victoria Scott – If anyone has checked out my blog over the past six months you’ll have seen the badges and countdown widgets for this book. Dante Walker is actually a bad guy, no phony here, and he is smokin’ while he’s at it. He has a sense of humor like no other, and come on, we all know that a guy who says pow! is classy in the most delicious way.

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins – Kaidan is a British hottie with a demon for a dad. You can’t really get any more bad than that. Did I mention he plays the drums? And his dad is the duke of lust? You’ll be drooling all over this guy.

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout – The main guy in this book isn’t really a bad boy, per se, but he is extremely arrogant, and despite the light that comes with his species of alien, he has some pretty dark stuff going on. And of course he completely drool worth—we all know him; Daemon the demon (he’s not really a demon, but he can act like it sometimes).

 New Adult:

New adult is generally 17 or 18+ because the sex scenes are more graphic than what you get in YA. New adult is not, however, erotica. It usually is about an 18-30 year old person/people and it tends to have romance in it, though it’s not always about romance. You can get paranormal NA too. It’s a new genre to the reading world and it is a great genre for summer reads because most NA books are light reads and it goes with the season. I’m sure you could find some horror or suspense NA, but a lot of NA is just light and fun to read without all of the angst. It’s carefree.

My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron – For those of you who love new adult as much I do or for people looking to get a new roommate starting this year—you have to check out this book. Especially if you’re looking for a new roommate. It’ll make you think twice.

The Love Game by Emma Hart – Play the player? Classic story. And of course everything goes wrong when you try to play the master of the love game. But it’s oh so exciting and thrilling.

Suddenly Royal by Nichole Chase – I’ve never had the whole ‘princess fantasy’ before. But I tried this book out, and I fell in love with it. A great read for anyone—even people like me who don’t think very much about royalty.

Indie Authors:

Indie authors are independent authors that are either self-published or published by a small, independent publishing company. Despite what most people think, indie authors can be just as good if not better than big-wig published authors. One of my favorite things about indie books is that the authors tend to free write—that is they write without restrictions and guidelines that major publishers set. It can give you a whole other perspective to books and writing. Give them a chance. They might just surprise you.

Fate and Fury by Quinn Loftis – This is the sixth book in the series, so I’d start with the first (Prince of Wolves) if you haven’t read the first few yet. You really notice that these books are without boundaries by the characters and what they say. The characters are the best part of this series. They’ll make you laugh so hard you can’t breathe and you will fall in love with them.

Phoenix by K.K. Cook – I was brought up on mythology, so any books with mythology in them I will probably love. Phoenix is no exception. Based on Persian mythology about phoenixes turning into humans, K.K. Cook writes a fun, light novella on the phoenix and werewolves. And after seeing Taylor Laughtner shirtless and drooling at his abs, werewolves have become a personal favorite in books.

Deadly to Love by Mia Hoddell – Everyone’s heard of internet dating. What about meeting over a game site? This is a very new generation book with all of elements of a great story. It’s something different to mix it up a bit for your summer.

Books about Summer:

This list is kind of about summer. So it would make sense that I have a few books relating to summer in some way or another.

The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson – A bit archaic the theme for this story. But a great story, nonetheless. Dystopia is always a favorite genre for me, and a dystopia novel with elements of the ancient Greeks in it? AWESOME! A bit chilling, too, some of the stuff they do in this story. And I’m not talking about the sacrifices. The technology being put in peoples bodies? A concept I don’t understand but am intrigued by.

The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan – We all know this book. And the movie based on the second book is coming out in August I believe! Exciting! Of course, the books were way better. They always are. And what does this have to do with summer, you may ask? It’s been a while since I’ve read the book, but I’m pretty sure Percy goes to camp Half-Blood during the summer. So summer camp would be how it’s relatable.

 Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter – Another summer camp story. I read this book recently and I think the first book was the best in the series. And how can anyone not like a camp full of vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches, and shape-shifters? It’s like paranormal heaven!

What do you guys think? Any other books to add?



Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii