Must-Read Books for Summer

For some people summer has already begun, even though it does not technically start until June 21st, the summer solstice. Whether you are traveling to exotic lands or just going to the local pool for some time in the sun, there's always a chance to read. Of course, you're going to need some good reading material, right? So here are a few suggestions:

*Books are marked by a (YA) meaning Young Adult, or a (NA) meaning New Adult. Young Adult is generally read by 13-18 year olds, but can be read by anyone. New Adult books are generally meant for college kids, 17-30, but can also be read by almost anyone. Note that NA books usually contain sexual situations and are not appropriate for all readers. Usual recommendation is 17+

Greek Gods & Mythology
 
I had to include Greek gods and mythology in my list of summer reads because I always think about the Greek legends in summer. It helps this year that I am going to Greece, for my second time. I loved it the last time I went for summer, cannot wait again this time round!
 
The Covenant Series by Jennifer Armentrout (YA)
Most people will know Jennifer Armentrout by her Lux series, and maybe her Wait For You NA series. I've got to admit, I wasn't convinced when I first heard about the Covenant series. All of her other works were just so good, how could she have anything else turn out amazing? I have read a good chunk of JLA's books, and I have yet to be disappointed. The covenant series is by far her best to date.
 
Deer in Headlights by Staci Hart (NA)
A newly discovered author for me, and I just recently finished her first book (which I was skeptical about reading)! But so far I have fallen in love with it. There are two major things going on in the book. One, is in the mortal realm where two unlikely people are fighting to fall in love, and two, is in Olympus where the gods are playing a game of puppet master. I cannot wait to see what happens next! Book two, Snake in the Grass, is already out, and sometime in July the third book will be coming out.

Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini (YA)
I do really like these books. All three books are already out, so no painstakingly long waiting. There are plenty of gods, myths, and demigods in these books. Mostly demigods and family feuds (think Romeo and Juliet Greek mythology style).

Rocker Romance
 
If you're anything like me, then bad boy rock stars are a must read no matter the time of the year. But they're especially good in summer, when you want the bad boys the most. Shirtless, of course. That's what makes summer so great, right? Shirtless bad boys with tattoos and guitars. Or drums. Or bass. They're all pretty badass and sexy, if you think about it.
 
More than Music by Elizabeth Briggs (NA)
Another new author for me. I recently received an ARC for her book and I freaking LOVE it! The book just recently came out, and it's one of my favorite rocker romance books. It involves geeky rockers (genius!) and a TV show that the band (Villain Complex) competes one to win a record deal and a chance to tour the country.

Runaway Train Series by Katie Ashley (NA)
So I think I discovered this series, hmm, maybe... a year ago? I'm not entirely sure. But since then two full novels and one novella have been published. I still need to read the latest book, Strings of the Heart, and the novella (book 2.5) Music of the Soul. The two books I have read in this series, however, have been AMAZING. I can't wait to read the next ones.

Stage Dive Series by Kylie Scott (NA)
I fell in love with this series when reading Lick, the first book. I loved Mal in the second book, Play. And soon we'll be able to meet Jimmy in Lead (out July 29th) and then Ben in Deep (out December 23rd). It's a great series. The first book is my favorite. Waking up in Vegas married to a sexy rock star? Hell to the yeah!

Royal Rebels

Okay, so I know what you're thinking. Royals? Like Cinderella? I want something a little more... fun for my summer. Yeah, I thought the same thing when I started reading the first book. And yes, I did a whole category for only one trilogy, but whatever. These books kick booty.
 
Suddenly Trilogy by Nichole Chase (NA)
The first book (Suddenly Royal) is so far my favorite. Sam finds out she's a duchess, and everything is like a roller-coaster from there on. Lots of people have compared it to the Princess Diaries. I suppose it is very similar, and that can be positive or negative depending on your view of the Princess Diaries. I thought it was positive, and this book is a lot more mature. The second book (Recklessly Royal), has more sexual content in it than the first. The first is almost upper YA. The third book is Reluctantly Royal, and that comes out August 26th.

Tattooed Bad Boys

Please tell me I don't have to explain this one to you.

Marked Men Series by Jay Crownover (NA)
I love this series. The first book is still my favorite (they generally are). The first book is Rule, and it's the classic story of a sweet girl going for her friend's bad-boy brother. Even if the friend in this book is dead, and even if he's a guy, it's still the same classic story. Then of course there's Jet, which is okay. It's not my favorite, but its not terrible. After Jet is Rome, and that book is pretty sweet. I LOVE Rome and Cora. Next Nash, which was also a pretty badass book. Rowdy is next in the series, and that book comes out October 21st. All of the books are about bad boys who just happen to be tattoo artists (except Rome, he was a soldier and Cora was the body modification expert. A nice twist).

Perfect Chemistry Trilogy by Simone Elkeles (YA)
Gosh, it's been YEARS since I've actually sat down and read this series. Every now and then I'll grab the books from my bookshelf and skim them for my favorite parts, but I haven't actually read them in ages. My favorite book in this series was Rules of Attraction which was actually the second book, not the first, for a change. The first book is called Perfect Chemistry, and is about a bad boy and the clichéd cheerleader falling for him. It's cute. I like Rules of Attraction because Carlos is just... he's got a mouth on him, for one thing. He's one cocky sonofabitch, that's for sure. Kiara is just so perfect with Carlos. And then the third book is about the little brother, Luis (my least favorite of the books), called Chain Reaction. It's a good series.

Ross Siblings Series by Cherrie Lynn (NA)
Not ALL of the books in this series are about tattooed bad boys. But most are. For instance, the first book (Unleashed) is not. I've never read that one. I wonder why... But Rock Me, the second book and probably my favorite is about a yummy tattooed bad boy. As is the novella that comes after it, Light Me up, featuring the same protagonists as in the second book. Leave Me Breathless, the third book, was my second favorite, all because of Ghost. Who isn't technically a Ross. He may as well be. And the last one (I haven't heard of any more being written) is Take Me On, featuring the sister of the Ross family. Getting tattooed isn't her usual MO, but she had a REALLY bad break up. And there ar a ton of novellas in this series. So you won't be bored.

Tortured Souls

Don't ask me why this is appealing. I really don't know. Maybe us girls are just maternal or something. I don't know. But these books are good.

Breakable by Tammara Webber (NA)
The first New Adult book I ever read was Easy. And here is it's sequel, told from Lucas' point of view. It gives you a whole new insight to Lucas. It's kind of amazing, really. You would never know how amazing Lucas really is unless you read this book.

Unfixable by Tessa Bailey (NA)
Not my normal MO for reading. A messed up Willa and an aggressive Shane. It's kind of amazing they don't implode from their chemistry. A really good book. And the broken comes from both sides.

Favorite Summer Series

And to finish this list of recommended summer reading, here is one of the best series' for summer:

Sea Breeze Series by Abbi Glines (Mostly NA)
I have loved this series over the past few years. Starts with Breathe, which is YA. From then on it's closer to NA. And the order goes: Because of Low, While it Lasts, Just for Now, Sometimes it Lasts, Misbehaving, Bad for You, and Hold on Tight. My favorites are While it Lasts and Bad for You. They feature probably the two best bad boys. Don't get me wrong, Preston and Dwayne are most definitely bad boys, but Cage and Krit are all kinds of hot. I have not read Sometimes it Lasts or Misbehaving. It's on my list, but Abby Glines is kind of expensive. I normally don't buy books above $2.99 on my Kindle. The good news is that you technically can read any of the books as a standalone. I would recommend reading all of them, but you are free to choose and pick.

I hope you check some of these books out! What do you recommend for reading during summer? Tell me in the comments below :)





Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii