The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Date Published: April 24th 2012
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Dystopia

I've read so many vampire books in the past that normally I wouldn't even look at one. But this one is dystopian, which is more than a little different. And the author was Julie Kagawa, who I've heard amazing things about from my fellow book bloggers. So I decided to give this book a whirl.

Allie is a seventeen year old girl living in a world where vampires are the dominant species and humans are no more than animals used for food. She lives on the fringe, a place where unregistered human go to live poorly (but freely) and slowly starve to death. One day she goes outside of the city in search for food and gets turned into the very thing she hates--a vampire.

Allie flees the city and joins a group of people looking for a cure. A cure for the creatures called rabids who threaten both the humans and the vampires. They're crazy, deranged, bloodthirsty creatures without morals.

I had a lot of mixed feelings with this book. The first thing being that it was about vampires. I'm pretty sick of vampires, but I think Kagawa did a good job of making her vampires as unique as possible while keeping them very traditional. Kudos on that point. Not everyone does that when writing a book with a cliched element in it.

Another thing was that the romance element commonly in YA was scarce in this novel. I like my teen romance. Even if it seems so far-fetched and unbelievable, I still like having it there. But not too unbelievable. That just gets annoying. There was a little romance in this book, hopefully there will be more in the second one.

Everything else I loved about the story. My heart beat frantically at certain points during the book, and I loved the story and conflict Kagawa created. It was a good story. I kept reading, and I didn't want to put it down. Some books I want to put down but I keep going because I want to know what happens at the end. This was not one of those books. I liked the actual story, the journey that led to the end.

A fantastic read. I highly recommend it. One of the best vampire books I've read. I can't wait to read the next one!

View all my reviews

To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.




Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii