Mardi Gras + Support for Breast Cancer

Mardi Gras 2013 photo MardiGras2013_zpseca7c8eb.jpg

mardi gras plural of Mar·di Gras

Noun
A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans
     I'm doing a Mardi Gras post today. Totally random, I mean, when is Mardi Gras again? Oh, that's right. It's today. It's also Lincoln's birthday. Not that we care. At all.
     I love Mardi Gras. No, I am not from New Orleans, and I'm not even really from the Deep South. I'm pretty sure DC is in the North. Virginia is in the South, I think. That line gets blurry sometimes.
     Anyways, Mardi Gras is usually a southern tradition, but it's something that my family has participated in for years. My mother used to host charity balls at hotels, usually the Hilton. It would always be a Mardi Gras ball.
     She stopped doing them since we moved to DC because she has so much more stress and work so she doesn't have the time. But I used to love setting everything up. I got to sprinkle confetti on the tables, help with decorations, putting the free masks on the tables, that sort of thing.
     There would always be an auction with various items being sold off. My Grandpa painted a picture of a jester walking down a street in New Orleans for one of the auctions. It was beautiful. A friend of ours bought it and then gave it to my mom as a present because she had wanted it so bad.
     One year I got to go to the ball and I wore my mom's red dress and a mask. It was so much fun, even though I was one of the youngest people there.
     Anyways, I just wanted to have a post on here for Mardi Gras, since it means something to me. I'm not the best person to tell you about the history, since I only know vague details, but click here to get the history and learn what Mardi Gras is about. I think it gives a decent explanation. It's a kids craft website with craft info for different holidays and special occasions.
     Now I may not be able to hold a Mardi Gras ball, but I would love it if you could help support me in fundraising for Avon for the walk to help raise money for breast cancer. I need to get $1,800 to walk in the DC Avon walk for breast cancer. I would love it if you could help donate money to this charity to help people get the money they need to survive.
     It would mean a lot to me and all of the people who will benefit from your generosity. Maybe you know someone with breast cancer or maybe you don't Help me help the people who need to survive. In the long run you'll be so happy that you've helped someone. You will have helped save lives, and that's no small matter. Be grateful for what you have and donate to help the people who need it most.



Now, to keep this post book related here are some books involving either masks, or New Orleans:

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz
Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) This is the second book in the Blue Bloods series, which I highly reccommend. Of course I'd start by reading the first book, but here's this one too.

Orleans by Sherri L. Smith
Orleans I have not read this book, but it's on my TBR list. It sounds pretty good.

Blood Like Poison by M. Leighton
Destined for a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #2) I have no connection whatsoever to this book. I found it while looking at Goodreads. But I have read some books by the author.

The Homecoming Masquerade by Spencer Baum
The Homecoming Masquerade Another book that I just found involving masks. No connection, but it does sound pretty good.

Thanks for all of your support and generosity and kindness. It means so much to me and all of the people who will be getting your support. You people rock!

Kacii

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Leave your blog/website name and link so I can get back to you. And if you're a new follower, tell me. Note that this is an award-free zone. I loved getting awards and I was pleased you guys thought I was special, but I was nominated so many times and it took a lot of time to do the award posts, time that I don't have. So thanks, but no thanks.

Happy reading!

Kacii